Social media in 2018: LinkedIn
I’m fascinated by the pace of evolution in social media, and equally how so many businesses don’t have a strategy that is really delivering results. LinkedIn is a particularly exciting platform and is a must-have for any digital engagement strategy in 2018 and beyond. Kate Everett – TWI Managing Partner
Founded in 2006, LinkedIn experienced a slow start, but as of 2018 the social media channel for business is one to watch, with more than 332 million members, LinkedIn is accessed by over 106 million people on monthly basis and has 24.5 million company pages.
LinkedIn is the unrivalled social media platform when it comes to B2B marketing. Built purely for engagement between businesses and its stakeholders, content is shared between professionals, almost guaranteeing B2B marketing as the motive behind the post. In fact, recent studies showed that 97% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn for content marketing purposes.
The purpose of LinkedIn hasn’t changed, but the potential for digital engagement has rocketed in recent years. LinkedIn claims that 46% of social media traffic coming to B2B company sites originates from LinkedIn and research from HubSpot show that LinkedIn is 277% more effective at lead generation than Facebook and Twitter.
A few LinkedIn facts:
- Two new users join LinkedIn every two seconds
- 40% of users access LinkedIn every day
- LinkedIn was bought by Microsoft in June 2016 – its largest acquisition to date
- 45% of LinkedIn regular users earn over $75,000
- Two-thirds of millionaires use LinkedIn
- The average CEO has 930 LinkedIn connections
- LinkedIn delivers 46% of all social referrals to corporate websites
Why should my business be using LinkedIn?
- LinkedIn is a valuable gateway for networking and maintaining relationships with numerous stakeholders and potential clients.
- Keeping a company page up-to-date with relevant information and sharing regular thought-provoking content will help to build and grow a brand, creating valuable leads.
- As the saying goes, ‘It’s not what you know, it’s who you know’. LinkedIn enables you to target connections through location, job title, sector, company and interests.
- There are multiple opportunities for lead-generation campaigns, dynamic adverts and sponsored content, (helped by LinkedIn’s Matched Audiences solution) with the real-time ability to test and measure the sales funnel through conversion tracking.
- LinkedIn’s helpful guides and tools enables easy access to native advertising solutions including Video Ads
- Paid solutions include Elevate, enabling companies to ‘Expand the reach and boost the impact of your content marketing strategy with employee advocacy’.
With the ever-evolving B2B marketing power of LinkedIn clear, it’s not surprising that it was the most popular social network platform used by Inc 500 companies in 2017.
Want to know more about the best LinkedIn social media strategy for your business? Contact TWI for a no obligation social media appraisal meeting.
Thanks to the following organisations for helping with our article research: